The Queensland Fusion team of 12 has been confirmed ahead of the 2019 Deakin University Australian Netball League (DUANL)
The team has been selected with an eye to the future, but despite the young collective age of the team, there is considerable experience in each area of the court with eight of the twelve making up the Lorna Jane Queensland Firebirds extended squad.
Young defenders from the 2018 Queensland 19U team feature, with one of last year’s defensive standouts Ruby Bakewell-Doran coming into the team for the first time.
She is joined at the back by experienced Fusion defender Leah Middleton along with 2018 squad members Bridie Condren and Shenae Grant.
Jada Gafa will return this year to State team netball after taking two years away from representative competition. She will join Leesa Mi Mi – who captained the 17U Queensland side at the National Netball Championships in Adelaide in 2018 – Maddie Hinchliffe and Macy Gardner to complete the midcourt line up.
Amy Sommerville , Rylie Holland and Alexia Baker along with one of Toowoomba’s rising stars Mia Stower have all been reselected in the Fusion shooting line. Former WNBL basketballer Stephanie Bairstow will continue as a training partner with the Queensland Fusion as Alexia Baker continues her rehabilitation from injury.
Returning Head Coach Tracey Jeanes-Fraser is excited by the growth of the players over the last 12 months.
“It is great to see the depth of talent coming through our Underage programs and contesting strongly for positions in the 2019 team,” Jeanes-Fraser said.
“While it is always a tough decision finalising a team of 12 from the talent within the squad, we are excited to be working with players who have shown tremendous improvements over the last year at 19U and ANL level.”
The DUANL will commence over the weekend of 4-5 May with the Fusion taking on the Tasmanian Magpies at the Queensland State Netball Centre.
With five rounds hosted at the new Queensland State Netball Centre, it will be a treat for the Queensland netball community to see the team perform at home so often.
Following the completion of the DUANL, the HART Sapphire Series will commence with more opportunities for young Queenslanders to come and watch their local heroes.
The Fusion team, along with the Queensland 17U and 19U teams will be presented their maroon dresses at the Netball Queensland Awards at the Hilton Hotel next Saturday 30 March
Tickets available HERE
2019 Queensland Fusion Team
- Alexia Baker (Carina Leagues Club Tigers, Queensland Firebirds Squad) – pending medical clearance.
- Ruby Bakewell – Doran (Brisbane North Cougars, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Bridey Condren (The Jets, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Jada Gafa (Bond University Bullsharks)
- Macy Gardner (Brisbane North Cougars, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Shenae Grant (Bond University Bullsharks)
- Maddie Hinchcliffe (Brisbane North Cougars, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Rylie Holland (Brisbane North Cougars, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Leesa Mi Mi (QUT Wildcats)
- Leah Middleton (Carina Leagues Club Tigers, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Amy Sommerville (Carina Leagues Club Tigers, Queensland Firebirds Squad)
- Mia Stower (Brisbane North Cougars)