National Netball Championships (NNC)
Netball Queensland seeks to identify players with potential to progress through to the elite level and provide them with an opportunity to participate in the National Netball Championships. The Queensland teams will undergo a preparation phase from January through to April, with State coaches working collaboratively with Ruby and Sapphire Series coaches to ensure players are in the best possible position, mentally and physically to perform well at the National Championships. The goals of this program are for teams to perform well at the National Championships and for Queensland players to be over represented in the National Squads selected following the Championships.
2020 Event details - cancelled due to COVID-19
The Queensland 17U and 19U Teams to compete at the National Netball Championships in Hobart have been finalised following the training camps held last weekend.
A mix of experience and new comers to the Queensland High Performance program is again a feature of the Queensland 17U Team that includes Australian 21U Squad member Martina Reekers and Australian 17U Squad member Isabel Shearer. These players are joined by an experienced core of players who competed at the 2019 Nationals; Ava Black, Sarah Harris, Rianah Childs and Ashleigh Ervin. The exciting newcomers include Kiara Condon, Larika Malagaoma, Hayley McGruther, Losa Niumata and Olivia Roberts who all impressed selectors over the last 3 weeks of training.
The inaugural 2019 Nissan 18U State Titles proved its value with two new midcourt players impressing selectors and breaking into the State program for the first time. Amy Metcalf and Monique Piunti both demonstrated their work ethic, speed and versatility and will join the experienced 2019 team members of Charlie Bell, Madison Cooley, Olivia Dijkstra, Viv Fitzpatrick and Leesa MiMi. Players who have made the step up from the 2019 Queensland 17U Team include the versatile Rylee Burns, Australian 17U Squad member Lily Gribble and tenacious defenders Lynette Child and Abigail Houston. Annabelle Lawrie has also been selected following her stunning form in 2019 that saw her elevated to a training partner role with the Sunshine Coast Lightning.
Netball Queensland Performance Pathways Manager Tracey Fear said “This year was the most closely contested selections for both teams. The Head Coaches and State Selectors were heartened by the depth of talent across both squads, despite it making their task of selecting the teams so much harder.”
“The Nissan State Titles in only its second year has really showcased the talented 15-16 year olds across the State, and while only in its first year, the 18U State Titles gave the selectors an opportunity to see the best 17-18 year olds compete against each other in intense competition. The future of Queensland Netball is in good hands with the depth talent and athleticism of the players selected.” Fear said.
2020 Queensland 17U Team & Training Partners (TP):
- Ava Black - Bullsharks 16U Team | Bullsharks
- Rianah Childs - Tigers 16U Team | Redlands
- Kiara Condon - Jets 16U Team | Ipswich
- Ashleigh Ervin - Bullsharks 16U Team | Northern Gold Coast
- Sarah Harris - Thunder 16U Team | Caboolture
- Larika Malagaoma - Tigers 16U Team | Redlands
- Hayley McGruther - Cougars 16U Team | Pine Rivers
- Losa Niumata - Tigers 16U Team | Redlands
- Martina Reekers - Cougars 16U Team | Cougars
- Olivia Roberts - Jets 16U Team | Western Districts
- Isabelle Shearer - Claws 16U Team | Rockhampton
- Naomi Solomona - Jets 16U Team | Western Districts
- (TP) Kayla Anderson - Wildcats 16U Team | Cornubia
- (TP) Lily McClure - Thunder 16U Team | Sunshine Coast
- (TP) Aleisha Paul - Claws 16U Team | Rockhampton
- (TP) Charlize Sivyer - Cougars 16U Team | Brisbane
- (TP) Chloe Williams - Wildcats 16U Team | Cornubia Park
2020 Queensland 19U Team & Training Partners (TP):
- Charlie Bell - Jets | Western Districts
- Rylee Burns - Bond University Bull Sharks | Hinterland
- Lynette Childs - Tigers, Ruby Series | Redlands
- Madison Cooley - Tigers, HART Sapphire Series | Metropolitan Districts
- Olivia Dijstra - Bond University Bull Sharks | South Coast
- Vivienne Fitzpatrick - Brisbane North Cougars | Sunshine Coast
- Lily Gribble - Tigers, HART Sapphire Series | Metropolitan Districts
- Abigail Houston - Bond University Bull Sharks | South Coast
- Annabelle Lawrie - QUT Wildcats | Northern Gold Coast
- Amy Metcalf - USC Thunder | Caboolture
- Leesa Mi Mi - QUT Wildcats | Cornubia
- Monique Piunti - Tigers 18U Team | Metropolitan Districts
- (TP) Tiarni Fennell - Tigers 18U Team | Metropolitan Districts
- (TP) Nicole Guenther - USC Thunder | Caboolture
- (TP) Hannah Le Sage - Brisbane North Cougars | Logan
- (TP) Kiara Ratu - Bond University Bull Sharks | Hinterland
Selection Process for 2021 State Team
The following images describe the selection process for the respective teams. The process spans 12 months, with multiple opportunities for players to be seen by multiple personnel.
For more information relating the Selection Policy, please click here